Skip to main content

video - Looking for temporal upsampling / motion interpolation software



I'm looking for something (prereably FOSS software) which can take an animation with N images as input, and which will output an animation with M frames, where M is in the range 2N to 5N or so.


I believe the general technique is called "temporal upsampling" or possibly "inbetweening" (or "'tweening" for short). Note that it does need to make some effort to do motion tracking of things in the scene ("optical flow"); just fading ("dissolve") between keyframes isn't going to cut it. Googling "temporal upsampling" turns up any number of papers on the subject, but I've yet to discover any code/software (a gstreamer plugin would be perfect) I can just use to try the technique out.


Any suggestions ?


Additional information: "Motion interpolation" seems to be the more widely used name in the TV world for what I'm looking for. See this and the video here too. Interestingly, some cinephiles seem to hate what these technologies do to 24FPS film: e.g a comment "makes Gone With The Wind look like a soap opera shot on video".



Answer



The MVTools plugin for AVISynth performs frame interpolation. AviSynth (sourceforge) is a script based video editing tool. You define operations to perform in a script text file.


The script i had to playback Charlie Wilson's War at 120fps:


cyia.avs:


source = DirectShowSource("Cyia Batten - Charlie Wilson's War.avi")

# assume progressive NTSC Film 23.976 source

# Fast Search
#============
# we use explicit idx for more fast processing
#backward_vec = source.MVAnalyse(blksize=16, isb = true, chroma=false, pel=1, searchparam=1, idx=1)
#forward_vec = source.MVAnalyse(blksize=16, isb = false, chroma=false, pel=1, searchparam=1, idx=1)


# Slow Search
# ===========
# Use block overlap, halfpixel accuracy and Exhaustive search
backward_vec = source.MVAnalyse(overlap=4, isb = true, pel=2, search=3, idx=1)
forward_vec = source.MVAnalyse(overlap=4, isb = false, pel=2, search=3, idx=1)


#double framerate
#source.MVFlowFps(backward_vec, forward_vec, num=2*FramerateNumerator(source), den=FramerateDenominator(source), idx=1)

#triple framerate
#source.MVFlowFps(backward_vec, forward_vec, num=3*FramerateNumerator(source), den=FramerateDenominator(source), mask=0, idx=1)

#120fps
source.MVFlowFps(backward_vec, forward_vec, num=120, den=1, mask=0, idx=1)

Yes, it does destroy the movie quality when converted to anything higher than 24fps.


Comments

Popular Posts

keyboard - Is there any utility/method to change Windows key bindings to type rare chars to currently empty bindings?

I'm currently typing this post with my windows XP machine and (Spanish) keyboard, and I'd like to add some extra symbols to my text. I could open the "char map" windows utility, look for the desired symbols, and paste them. But I'd like something quickier. For example, when I'm using my OSX Mac at work, I can easily add a ©, ™, ® or similar symbols, just pressing some weird ALT-GR + G / H / J, key combinations. In my (Spanish) keyboard mapping, these combinations are empty, as they don't produce any char at all, which, on the other hand, is perfectly normal and desirable. So, I thought: Why couldn't I add some extra key mappings on top of my currently empty ALT-GR + G/J/H Keys in my Spanish keyboard, and thus, being able to quickly type these special symbols? So that's my question: Is there any utility/method to achieve that effect under windows? (My version is XP). I've even googled this for some time but no luck. I've been a long term Hot...

virtualization - How to select paravirtualization interface in VirtualBox?

Given a windows 8 host system (Intel Core i5) and a Linux Fedora host, I would like to determine the optimal setting for the paravirtual interface. Options are none Default Legacy minimal Hyper-V KVM This page suggest the selection is only based on the guest system: The biggest change in VirtualBox 5.0 is the introduction of paravirtualization support, bringing higher performance and time-keeping accuracy to supported guest operating systems (Hyper-V on Windows and KVM on Linux). Is that correct? Answer The VirtualBox Manual , in the section titled Paravirtualization providers explains very clearly when each should be used (emphasis added): Minimal: Announces the presence of a virtualized environment. Additionally, reports the TSC and APIC frequency to the guest operating system. This provider is mandatory for running any Mac OS X guests. KVM: Presents a Linux KVM hypervisor interface which is recognized by Linux kernels starting with version 2.6.25. VirtualBox's implementati...

macos - Visit URL in running Firefox instance from command line in OS X

I have Firefox 3.6 installed on my OS X (10.6) box. I would like to open an URL in the running Firefox instance (in a new tab or window, no matter) from the command line. I tried several ways, neither switches -new-tab , -new-window , -url , or none helped me. I always get the A copy of Firefox is already open. Only one copy of Firefox can be open at a time. error message. Answer running open http://www.superuser.com from the command line will (at least for me) open a new tab to superuser.com in firefox (which is my default browser)

security - How is Linux not prone to viruses, malware and those kinds of things?

How is Linux protected against viruses? This question was a Super User Question of the Week . Read the blog entry for more details or contribute to the blog yourself Answer Well, it factually is not... it's just less subject to hackers developing viruses that target Linux systems. Consumer grade computers usually run on Windows and thus, when targeting a wide audience, Windows is the way to go. Don't misunderstand Linux and viruses, there definitely ARE Linux viruses. Some distros have additional protection layers such as SELinux (See here ) in Ubuntu for example. Then there's the default firewall and the fact that alien files don't automatically have permission to be executed. Specific execution permission has to be granted before execution is possible. (See here ) Then there are several other factors that make Linux a hard place to be for viruses usually non-root users on linux systems have no to little executable files at their disposal that would allow for virus...