Skip to main content

Windows Update doesn't work on Window 8.1


I bought new laptop and first thing I wanted to do was upgrading it to Windows 10 but whenever I use Windows Update -> Check updates it's just stuck on checking updates (5 dots are flying in and out whole time and nothing ever happens).


Last update installed is KB3000850 in 2014-11-21 (it's new laptop)


Last update check: Never Updates installed: Never


I don't get any error. Nothing happens at all (as I said before dots are just flying and out for 30 minutes now).



Answer



I had the identical problem. The problem is that the Windows Update Agent is out of date and does not update itself first as it is supposed to do.


To fix this you first download the most recent Windows Update Agent for your OS:



Note: Microsoft support kept referencing an outdated page for kb949104 which is NOT the most current WU Agent.


To update the Windows Update Agent:



  • Open an elevated command prompt.

  • Stop the Windows Update Agent by typing net stop wuauserv and hit Enter.

  • Run the installer you downloaded earlier.

  • Start the service by typing net start wuauserv.

  • Restart your computer.


Windows 8.1 should now update itself and then you can run the W10 update. It may take a few days and a few restarts for W8.1 to fully update but you should start seeing results in the Window update history file.


You can try manually installing the updates but i found it best to just leave the machine on for a couple of days and restart as requested, and let it do its own thing.


It would be very nice if the Windows Update Agent actually updated itself, but it doesn't sometimes, and so you have to go through all this to make it work the way you expect it to.


Comments

Popular Posts

keyboard - Is there any utility/method to change Windows key bindings to type rare chars to currently empty bindings?

I'm currently typing this post with my windows XP machine and (Spanish) keyboard, and I'd like to add some extra symbols to my text. I could open the "char map" windows utility, look for the desired symbols, and paste them. But I'd like something quickier. For example, when I'm using my OSX Mac at work, I can easily add a ©, ™, ® or similar symbols, just pressing some weird ALT-GR + G / H / J, key combinations. In my (Spanish) keyboard mapping, these combinations are empty, as they don't produce any char at all, which, on the other hand, is perfectly normal and desirable. So, I thought: Why couldn't I add some extra key mappings on top of my currently empty ALT-GR + G/J/H Keys in my Spanish keyboard, and thus, being able to quickly type these special symbols? So that's my question: Is there any utility/method to achieve that effect under windows? (My version is XP). I've even googled this for some time but no luck. I've been a long term Hot...

virtualization - How to select paravirtualization interface in VirtualBox?

Given a windows 8 host system (Intel Core i5) and a Linux Fedora host, I would like to determine the optimal setting for the paravirtual interface. Options are none Default Legacy minimal Hyper-V KVM This page suggest the selection is only based on the guest system: The biggest change in VirtualBox 5.0 is the introduction of paravirtualization support, bringing higher performance and time-keeping accuracy to supported guest operating systems (Hyper-V on Windows and KVM on Linux). Is that correct? Answer The VirtualBox Manual , in the section titled Paravirtualization providers explains very clearly when each should be used (emphasis added): Minimal: Announces the presence of a virtualized environment. Additionally, reports the TSC and APIC frequency to the guest operating system. This provider is mandatory for running any Mac OS X guests. KVM: Presents a Linux KVM hypervisor interface which is recognized by Linux kernels starting with version 2.6.25. VirtualBox's implementati...

macos - Visit URL in running Firefox instance from command line in OS X

I have Firefox 3.6 installed on my OS X (10.6) box. I would like to open an URL in the running Firefox instance (in a new tab or window, no matter) from the command line. I tried several ways, neither switches -new-tab , -new-window , -url , or none helped me. I always get the A copy of Firefox is already open. Only one copy of Firefox can be open at a time. error message. Answer running open http://www.superuser.com from the command line will (at least for me) open a new tab to superuser.com in firefox (which is my default browser)

security - How is Linux not prone to viruses, malware and those kinds of things?

How is Linux protected against viruses? This question was a Super User Question of the Week . Read the blog entry for more details or contribute to the blog yourself Answer Well, it factually is not... it's just less subject to hackers developing viruses that target Linux systems. Consumer grade computers usually run on Windows and thus, when targeting a wide audience, Windows is the way to go. Don't misunderstand Linux and viruses, there definitely ARE Linux viruses. Some distros have additional protection layers such as SELinux (See here ) in Ubuntu for example. Then there's the default firewall and the fact that alien files don't automatically have permission to be executed. Specific execution permission has to be granted before execution is possible. (See here ) Then there are several other factors that make Linux a hard place to be for viruses usually non-root users on linux systems have no to little executable files at their disposal that would allow for virus...