Skip to main content

networking - routing to a computer on a switch behind a router?


Here is the setup:


Cable Modem -> Vonage "Router" (not really sure if it is a full router or not) -> Linksys Router -> Netgear Switch -> PC


When I had the PC connected directly to the router I could route to it just fine. When I put it behind the switch I no longer can.


Pardon my obvious lack of knowledge on this, but is there some way to route to the PC behind the switch or do I have to reconfigure the network somehow (eg: replace the switch with another router, reconnect it directly to the router, etc.)


If specific model names\values are needed I can provide them, but I believe this to be a general topic.


UPDATE #1


I completely removed the vonage device and I switched the PC to non-static ip, yet, I can not even connect to the local ip address from anywhere on the LAN. I am beginning to think it is a firewall or anti-virus problem.


EDIT #1


By "route to it" (the PC in question) I mean access ports running on said PC remotely. eg: port 80, 22, etc.


EDIT #2


The strange thing is, to get things to work (before) I had to config the vonage device to route to the router (which I had to hunt down it's local address) and then also route to the PC from the router as well. Additionally, I have the PC setup with a static IP as to prevent the address from being reassigned.


EDIT #3


I tried turning DHCP & NAT off at the router. With DHCP off I still have an outbound connection but the default gateway still shows up as the router and I still can't connect from external. When I turn NAT off I get no connection at all. I believe I used to have "double natting" working by routing traffic from the vonage device to the routers address, and then router to PC - but this no longer seems to work and I have no idea why. Furthermore, I can reach the router but NOT the vonage device from a browser - I find this highly suspect, but I have no idea what the cause.


Any other suggestions out there?


EDIT #3a


Removing the static IP config allows me to connect to the vonage device - not sure if that will help someone else, just throwing it out there.



Answer



Unless you really know what you're doing, you only want one box acting as a NAT gateway and DHCP server on your home network. When most people say "router" in the context of a home network, they're actually talking about something that's acting as a full NAT gateway, not a simple IP router.


I'm sure your Vonage box does NAT and DHCP. Also, it makes sure that your voice traffic gets the priority it needs when forwarding it to your broadband connection (i.e. your cable modem). But the Vonage box can only do that for your voice traffic when it's at the head of your network.


So, for best results, make sure your cable modem and your Linksys router are not serving NAT and DHCP. Have the cable modem simply bridge between Ethernet and cable, and have the Linksys box simply bridge between LAN and WAN.


If the Linksys box doesn't provide a way to turn NAT off, then turn its DHCP server off and stop using its WAN port -- just plug one of its LAN ports into the LAN side of the Vonage box. This allows the Linksys box to still act as a Wi-Fi access point (assuming that's what you're using it for -- if you don't need it, then take it out of the picture), and it acts as an Ethernet switch among its LAN ports.


With any NAT gateway, if you want it to forward incoming connection attempts from the outside world in to some host on your LAN, you'll have to set up port mappings in the NAT gateway to tell it which next-hop IP address and port to forward that kind of connection attempt to. If you set up your network with multiple NATs, then you have to tell each NAT about the next-hop NAT gateway, which is a pain and is one of the reasons you should avoid "double NATting" unless you really know what you're doing and have a good reason to do so.


Comments

Popular Posts

Use Google instead of Bing with Windows 10 search

I want to use Google Chrome and Google search instead of Bing when I search in Windows 10. Google Chrome is launched when I click on web, but it's Bing search. (My default search engine on Google and Edge is http://www.google.com ) I haven't found how to configure that. Someone can help me ? Answer There is no way to change the default in Cortana itself but you can redirect it in Chrome. You said that it opens the results in the Chrome browser but it used Bing search right? There's a Chrome extension now that will redirect Bing to Google, DuckDuckGo, or Yahoo , whichever you prefer. More information on that in the second link.

linux - Using an index to make grep faster?

I find myself grepping the same codebase over and over. While it works great, each command takes about 10 seconds, so I am thinking about ways to make it faster. So can grep use some sort of index? I understand an index probably won't help for complicated regexps, but I use mostly very simple patters. Does an indexer exist for this case? EDIT: I know about ctags and the like, but I would like to do full-text search. Answer what about cscope , does this match your shoes? Allows searching code for: all references to a symbol global definitions functions called by a function functions calling a function text string regular expression pattern a file files including a file

How do I transmit a single hexadecimal value serial data in PuTTY using an Alt code?

I am trying to sent a specific hexadecimal value across a serial COM port using PuTTY. Specifically, I want to send the hex codes 9C, B6, FC, and 8B. I have looked up the Alt codes for these and they are 156, 182, 252, and 139 respectively. However, whenever I input the Alt codes, a preceding hex value of C2 is sent before 9C, B6, and 8B so the values that are sent are C2 9C, C2 B6, and C2 8B. The value for FC is changed to C3 FC. Why are these values being placed before the hex value and why is FC being changed altogether? To me, it seems like there is a problem internally converting the Alt code to hex. Is there a way to directly input hex values without using Alt codes in PuTTY? Answer What you're seeing is just ordinary text character set conversion. As far as PuTTY is concerned, you are typing (and reading) text , not raw binary data, therefore it has to convert the text to bytes in whatever configured character set before sending it over the wire. In other words, when y

networking - Windows 10, can ping other PC but cannot access shared folders! What gives?

I have a computer running Windows 7 that shares a Git repo on drive D. Let's call this PC " win7 ". This repo is the origin of a project that we push to and pull from. The network is a wireless network. One PC on this network is running on Windows 10. Let's call this PC " win10 ". Win10 can ping every other PC on the network including win7 . Win7 can ping win10 . Win7 can access all shared files on win10 . Neither of the PCs have passwords. Problem : Win10 cannot access any shared files on win7 , not from Explorer, nor from Git Bash or any other Git management system (E-Git on Eclipse or Visual Studio). So, win10 cannot pull/push. Every other PC on the network can access win7 shared files and push/pull to/from the shared Git origin. What's wrong with Windows 10? I have tried these: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings\ File sharing is on, Discovery is on, Password protected sharing is off Adapte